Friday, July 16, 2010

Budgeting 101

As most of you know, Dan and I are newlyweds and at the moment money is very tight for us. Instead of dwelling on the negative and wishing for more, I am actually very thankful for what we have and try to make the most out of our situation. I have learned to budget every way we can. This was extremely difficult at first for me because I grew up getting things I wanted without ever worrying about the price. Now, I  look at budgeting as a game and actually enjoy saving money.  I am really shocked at how much moeny I wasted when I was younger!

Here are a few money saving tips.

1. Clip Coupons!!!! Sundays are one of my favorite days of the week! Why, you ask?? Because of the Sunday newspaper and all the coupons inside! I honestly get so excited to start clipping away when the paper comes! The Internet is also a great resource to find printable coupons. Check out these website: wow-coupons.com or slickdeals.net. Remember if you print your coupons, try and print them all on one page to not waste any paper. Remember we are trying to save both our greens!!!!

2. Shop around- Unless you need something that very moment, try not to buy it unless it's on sale! For example, I can go to the Publix by myself and buy a week's worth of groceries for under $20!  However, when I go with Dan I end up spending $50 for the same amount of groceries because he picks things without thinking about them going on sale. I try to only buy things on sale or knowing I can't find it for a lower price. I know it sounds tedious, but when you find BOGO's at Publix and use coupons together you end up spending close to nothing! The money you end up saving  really can add up!!

3. Stop impulsive shopping!!! I use to be that girl who would buy things impulsively and then it would sit in my closet for months! Now when I shop I think to myself "do I NEED it or do I WANT it?".....if I don't NEED it, I don't buy it!

*Another tip*
 If you end up purchasing it try and hold on to the receipt because it may go on sale a few days later and many stores, such as Macy's and Target do price adjustments!

4. Set a budget! Before you go shopping, say to yourself "I am only going to spend "X" amount". If it was pretty easy for you to get by on that amount, try and challenge yourself next time by setting a lower amount. You will end up saving a lot this way!

5 Date night doesn't always have to be expensive! Here are some inexpnsive things to do.

1.Have a picnic at the park. The only thing you have to pay for is the food you pack and you can make them yourself!
2. Instead of going to the movies, rent a movie from a Blockbuster Express or Redbox machine. They only charge you $1 a night and they are at most Publix's so they are very convenient to drop off.
3. Cook a romantic dinner. Cooking not only saves you money, but it's also healthier for you too!
4. Have a game night! Invite a bunch of friends over and play some board games!
5. Go to the beach! Make sure to put on some SPF if it's in the day time!!!

*Remember there is an expression "A person can never get rich, if all they do is spend"

What are some ways you save???

No comments:

Post a Comment